Thread: Style of music

Thanks
    Hi everyone, and Happy New Year!
    It just occurred to me as I was looking through the ethaimusic site that all the songs written about in this forum are pop songs. Many of them are quite good, but I was wondering if anyone knows of any Thai hip hop or rap. Or Thai rock or punk (most of the rock I've seen is very pop-ish).
    I think you guys choose the current hits for the ethaimusic site, though, so that's cool. Keep up the great site!
    roni

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Happy New Year!

That is a good point you have made and we will endeavour to have a mix of styles. What is happening at the moment is the top ten reflects what is popular in Thailand - this is based on radio top 10 charts, mp3 download sites and also music store top 10 charts. In Thailand there is no national top 10.

What we are going to try and do is to get students at Sriwittayapaknam School to vote for their favourite songs - hopefully on a weekly basis. From this a Top 10 chart will be produced. This will be run by the student DJ's at the school who broadcast during lunch breaks. The idea is for them to take over the weekly running of ethaimusic.com

If anyone has any ideas of what they would like to see on this new web site then please do let us know. Some of the ideas at the moment include: weekly competitions to win Thai music, music requests, mp3 downloads and features on singers.

Thanks
    Thanks for the answer Richard.
    I'm so impressed with this site. You're all so open to suggestions and quick to help. I'm really looking forward to your new music section ideas. I think it would be great to have students choosing music to put on the site in order to get some variety.
    I guess that means that there ARE Thai hip hop and punk artists and such, but they're just not as popular with the general public. Maybe someone knows of a site where I could find mp3s or sound clips?

arsira Guest
    hi roni i'm not sure whether these site have any mp3 for download but you can take a look.

thai rap /hip hop godfather -joey boy(lastest album gancore club)

Gancore Club/Gancore Club (GMM)
    : Well-known Thai rappers, MC, and DJ formed Gancore Club to make their own style of hip-hop they call Thai-hop and there are many local influences on this album. Gancore Club has made a sound that is familiar to hip-hop fans and also incorporated the real essence of original hip-hop. The satirical lyrics reflect much of the chaotic side of Thai society. Gancore Club reminds you of Da Jim's first sarcastic album but this album is much more catchy.

da-jim :Who is Da Jim?
    Da Jim is the underground hip-hop act formed by Da Jim (Suwhicha Suphaveera) and DJ Dig It All (Athip Krairit). Da Jim released their first album Hip-Hop Under World in 2000, and Hip-Hop Above the Law in 2001 on the small under-ground label NYU Club. The songs were infamous for their language and irony on topics like the underground lottery, nightlife, and sexual relationships, etc. Da Jim were arrested six months after the second album was released, on a charge of producing obscene music. They were fined Bt6,000 each. The case has been suspended for two years. The notoriety has driven record sales up, and led the underground rapper above ground. The third album Da Jim Rap Thai is being released on the major label GMM. And from now on, no more rude, no more nude.
    sampler:
    (http://www.kapook.com/musicstation/dajim/dajim.html)
    for stuff like dj ing you can check out www.upkajay.com

some of the rock bands worth mention:
    hin lek fai ( stone metal fire)
    hi-rock(pe)
    rob an phan(pe)
    the sun ( mostly formed by formal hin lek fai members) ynot7
    pause
    wolfpack
    blackhead
    sillyfool
    loso
    modern dog
    micro
    olran project(pong)
    don phee bin(death rock)
    dezember(death metal)
    i will leave the rest out as they are more to pop rock (clash,ab normal,zeal......)
    Heavy metal…
    This is the powerful rock music symbolized by leather jackets and boots, and long hair, whether it’s well groomed like the groups “Kaleidoscope” or “Hin Lek Fai” (Flintstone), or permed and bleached like “Laem Morrison”. Some have custom-made guitars designed to look like guns, leading to the name “Kiti Guitar Puen” (Kiti Gun Guitar). All of these are well-established names in the rock circle.

The appeal of heavy metal rock in this Land of Smiles lies in music that is fast-paced to the point of losing young breath. Nonetheless, the lyrics are related to love, or lack thereof, much like pop rock. Heavy metal listeners, however, are generally limited to males who are more interested in the delivery of the music rather than in what the lyrics are trying to say. Some of the more devoted heavy metal listeners are local musicians, while others have been inducted into this strain of music during their education experience overseas.

Country rock…
    Thailand’s homegrown country rock band that received astronomical success a decade ago was the ten-member “Carabao” band. Their album, “Made in Thailand” hit the charts like fireworks, and their name has been etched in Thailand’s music history as a band with leftist leanings, whose songs reflect the miseries of life and society, as well as the problems of the down-trodden people.

Dead rock…
    This is limited to a small number of independent artists who produce their own tapes because the big promoters are just not interested.

“Don Phi Bin” (Don Flying Ghost) deserves a special mention. They produce a regular stream of work that makes no money at all, but is done “just for the #### of it”. This group is mostly focused on the satisfaction of communicating with a small group of listeners that ranges from young students to working people who are tired of the old forms of music from major producers.

“Loso” – the new wave in Thai rock…
    Sek, lead guitarist and singer, grew up in the lowest ranks of Thai society. His only happiness was music, and this happiness gave him the determination to strive and learn all he could about it. He turned his back on formal education, having had to earn a living to support his family. This he did by playing music in pubs, a fair exchange for being a regular kid.

His perseverance paid off, and a talent scout invited him and two other friends to join the giant production team, Grammy.

Some Thai rock bands take on an extreme image in the style of the Japanese or British band, and, therefore, appeal only to a small group of city listeners or students. By contrast, Loso’s fan base is nationwide. And, it’s a sure bet that each album will have a hit song that makes you a “cool cat” the moment you hum it aloud. Just listening to Sek’s guitar solos you realise that the guitar is his god. He worships Jimmy Hendrix. He follows western music trends shamelessly, but his total dedication to developing his own unique musical abilities makes him a leader in the new wave of Thai rock today.

Rock from the small producers…
    Five years ago a small production company made its debut with a group called “Modern Dog”. Bakery Music had the vision that unconventional rock bands could sell if they were good enough. It was considered a risky step at the time because this group’s rock music was totally against the mainstream musical trends.

Modern Dog was a big hit amongst youngsters. They impressed people by writing their own lyrics and composing their own scores. In the style of independent producers, the company let them have a free hand, and was content to only promote and market their music for them.

Modern Dog’s music resembles British rock to a certain extent. Their arrival on the scene was quite timely since no other rock band at that time that performed in quite the same style. One member of the group, Pod, was quite original in his stage antics-jumping like a kangaroo, slithering like a snake, or curling up like a shrimp. Without the restrictions of a script, he would do anything he felt like on stage, and the audience loved it.

Enjoying rock, Thai-style…
    Rock music is relatively new to Thailand, but Thais already have their own way of enjoying the music that is totally different from their western counterparts.

Thai groups comment that Thai audiences are not as aggressive as westerners, meaning that they do not jump about madly, or fling off their clothes. At the most they might wave their hands in the air. This is in stark contrast to western audiences that become totally lost in the music, with no one paying any attention to anyone else. Thais are not yet ready to lose themselves like that, since they still feel restricted by older social norms and customs.

The future of Thai rock…
    In Thailand, rock is still restricted by certain parameters. Lyrics are the first item to be considered, and they are censored for swear words, or words implicating someone in a negative fashion, or words that are sexually explicit.

for thai punk scene :
    http://www.geocities.com/hcscenerepo.../thailand.html

thai metal bands:
    HERETIC ANGE(Thailand),DEATHGUY ,LACERATE,SHE'S GORE
    related site : http://seametalforce.tripod.com/news2.htm
    http://www.metaltronic.com/mv/welcome.htm
    http://www.metalthai.com/
    http://www.thaiunderground.com/
    http://www.angelfire.com/realm/under...ine/front.html
    http://www.angelfire.com/dc/lowdown/interview9.htm

arsira

Thanks
    For rock...Grammy usually has the best rock...Check Loso out. They're pretty good.
    RS Promotion has a few rock...most are kind of pop-ish...Dunk is a very good artist. Pluem is quite nice.

Other recommendation: Silly Fools. Dome Pakorn Lum.

Thanks
    Hi Jonil Raptor,
    Where are you getting these songs? From CDs, or websites, or Kazaa or something? I want to check out some of the recommendations that you and Arsira have made.
    Thanks

arsira Guest
    you should check out silly fool, they play abit hard core punk alternative rock, another place to download mp3
    http://www.geocities.com/danateam/

Thanks
    check out Thaimuzic.com (all songs and MVs in .rm format)
    I don't usually use Kazaa for Thai songs...I don't try it much...
    Also...try songtoday.com
    These should have what we recommended.

Thanks
    Hip HOp , Thaitanium, B-King , T-Hop, F1 , gancore Club , Dajim , JoeyBoy , Vamn , MAF

Thanks
    Some intersting reading posted so far.

As regards favourite rap / rock bands:

Rap: Dajim, Joeyboey, Thaitanium
    Rock: Saturday Seiko, Labanoon, Palapon, Taxi.

SW

Thread Information